International Haulage Permits

International Haulage (ECMT) Permits

In the event of an uncontrolled EU exit, UK hauliers can no longer rely on automatic recognition by the EU of UK-issued Community Licences.  Hauliers may therefore no longer be able to access EU markets with their Community Licence alone but from 11pm on 29 March 2019, would need an ECMT permit to transport goods in the EU and European Economic Area (EEA).  This would also end the ability of UK hauliers to perform cabotage.


To use an ECMT permit, you must:

  • have a vehicle operator licence for Great Britain or a vehicle operator licence for Northern Ireland
  • only use Euro VI emissions standard vehicles for Euro VI permits or Euro V or VI emissions standard vehicles for Euro V permits
  • have the certificates of compliance and roadworthiness relevant to the vehicle being used

Where You Can Use the Permits

You can use ECMT permits in 43 countries. These include:

  • EU and EEA countries (except Cyprus)
  • 15 other countries (click here for list)

Apply for Permits

The UK has secured more annual and short-term ECMT permits for 2019. There are permits for Euro V and Euro VI vehicles.

If you have not already applied for ECMT permits for 2019, you can apply from 5 March 2019 until 11:59pm on 16 March 2019 directly on the Government website –  click here to apply.

Do not apply again if you’ve applied for 2019 permits before. Your previous application will automatically be considered when the extra permits are allocated – even if you were not previously allocated a permit. Any extra applications you make will be rejected.