Driving in Europe Update – July 2021

Driving in EU

In the UK, travel restrictions put in place due to Covid are reviewed every three weeks and changed accordingly, however if you are planning on driving in Europe this summer, either for work or for pleasure, we wanted to remind you about the documents you will be required to take with you following the EU exit.

As of 1st January 2021, the UK is no longer member of the European Union, meaning that different driving rules apply. Please note, you may be breaking the law if you travel without the required documents and there could be serious implications including a fine, having your vehicle seized or even prosecution. We strongly recommend you to prepare your journey in advance as it may take longer than usual if you need to update or request any of the documents below:

To drive in Europe, you need to carry your UK driving licence. If you hold a paper driving licence or your licence was issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man, you may also need an international driving permit (IDP). In case you need an IDP, you can obtain it at the Post Office.

To check if you need an IDP, click here.

As of August 2021, UK drivers no longer need to carry a green card to drive their own vehicle in the EU (including Ireland), Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Serbia, or Switzerland.

A Green Card, also known as the International Motor Insurance Card, is a document that is issued by insurance providers in the UK, guaranteeing that the motorist has the necessary third-party motor insurance cover for travel in the country being travelled to.

You still need valid vehicle insurance. Find out more on Vehicle Insurance 

If you are going to Europe with your vehicle for less than 12 months, you can either bring your vehicle log book (V5C) or VE103 (a proof that you can use the hired/leased vehicle abroad). Please note, the address on your V5C must be up to date.

If you don’t have your original V5C, you can request a duplicate online, only if there is nothing to be changed on the log book. If you need to update your information on your log book before travelling to Europe, click here for more details.

If you are travelling in Spain, Malta or Cyprus you must display a GB sticker on the rear of your vehicle. If you are travelling in any other European country, you need a GB sticker if your number plate has:

  • A Euro symbol;
  • A national flag of England, Scotland or Wales;
  • Numbers and letters only;

If your number plate has the GB identifier on its own or with the union flag, you don’t need a GB sticker. You also don’t need a striker to drive in Ireland.

Bear in mind that UK laws are still relevant to UK-registered vehicles even if taken abroad for less than 12 months. This being said, the vehicle needs to be taxed, have insurance and a valid MOT.

If you have any questions regarding driving in Europe post EU exit, please get in touch. KINTO UK does provide travel abroad services to some of its customers and may be able to offer some assistance with this new process if your employer has procured this service from us. Please contact your KINTO Helpdesk for more information.


To find out more information about the documents UK drivers need in order to drive in the EU visit Driving in the EU – GOV.UK

Information regarding the latest government advice on travelling, can be found here.